Print the dollhouse template on cardstock paper. Cut out each panel and place them on the desired panel. Turn the 3 columns on the right side right side up and slide each tube of glue across the opening to join together the panels. Spread an even coat of glue onto all the surfaces. Cover all gaps using double sided tape. Using a hot glue gun, draw a circle around the inside of the hole as shown below.
Cut out the 2 circles on the back of the front panel to give it an additional length to fit over the dollhouse. Fold the cardboard circle back onto itself to make sure the hole in the cardboard doesn’t cause a flap when the front is folded up. Glue the cardboard circle on to the front, a square section of cardboard of the same size as the front. Glue the two circles together to make a box. I used purple glue for mine, but the room can always be painted brown.
Assemble the last two pieces, be sure to secure each other with more glue. With the cardboard box on the back, assemble the dolls on the top and bottom. Add some paint to make her eyes and cheeks look that much better.
Begin to join each pin of the straw-puppet and the fill-in. For straw, simply move it around on the rear side so it looks like a hand with one finger. For the fill-in, I used a clear clear plastic bag to mold a little pile of dirt in.
The straw-puppet and the fill-in are joined to make one body. Simply press each of the bodies together on top of the other, pulling them together slightly. I really like this step because it really shows how to sew my doll bodies together.
To join the hair and the hat, hold the hairpin on top and then using your sewing machine, sew the two pieces of hair on top of each other. Do the same for the dress, make sure to match up the zipper. I like to start with a small step for the hair, and then work up as the rest of the body is sewn together.
To make the hat and the veil I folded the ends of the dress and attached it to the headband, with the seam of the hem cut open so I could sew around and out of the ribbon.
Then I turned the dress right side out, with the veil on top, and folded back the ties to create the eyes, and slung on the pompom.
Then I turned the dress right side out, with the veil on top, and folded back the ties to create the eyes, and slung my pink giant sequin veil.
Now I hand stitched the opening up the sides of the headband with black thread, and the inside top of the headband with yellow thread, so the headband didn’t open back up.
For the printed text in the front of the dollhouse, I used the Deltaprints Angora dress pattern. It has many dashes and design features, including many of the flowers that will be printed. I made one version with either thick white fabric, or thinner fabric. I would recommend that you print your pattern onto heavy weight cloth as the logo (one with a ‘dot’) will stretch. I also would recommend printing on your preferred computer screen resolution. For instance, if your printer is a Mac, choose High DPI.
The text size was chosen in my sewing machine. This is not adjustable. I felt it was easiest to go with the size I wanted, and also selected a bit of a size to accommodate the size of the knitted doll. The printed pattern paper could be cut in a width of 8cm (three quarters of an inch). I set my print tray to 75% and set the papers width to 7cm (two thirds of an inch).
If you have made a dollhouse before, and tried your text sizing method, do share your experiences in the comments section below.